The Sèvre & Belle brand was founded in 1893 and is a part of the la Coopérative Laitière de la Sèvre, along with the Echiré and Atelier de la Sèvre brands. This close-knit independent dairy cooperative is respectful of ancient expertise, which we use to make all of our products and which you can through the quality in everything we produce.
Some history on Sèvre & Belle
Since its creation in 1893, the Sèvre & Belle brand has evolved from the small dairy cooperative in Celles-sur Belle in a place known locally as “La Vée”. Before becoming a region known for its high-quality milk, the region in the south of Deux-Sèvres was mostly a wine-making area. It was only after the phylloxera blight of 1880 that this transformation took place. Indeed, the ruin of vine stocks caused many farmers from Deux-Sèvres to leave the area. It was actually the Vendéens who forged this new economy of milk production. Several years later, the Coopérative Laitière de la Sèvre took shape and created the Sèvre & Belle brand.
The Sèvre & Belle brand is part of the Coopérative Laitière de la Sèvre, which is composed of over 60 cow’s milk producers and over 50 goat’s milk producers, all based close to our cheese dairy. With production and farms operating on a human scale, we are first and foremost one big family, united by strong, shared values.
For us, respecting the animals we raise is essential. Our goats are exclusively fed a diet free from GMs and palm oil, and their fodder is produced on the farm by producers that tend to their needs and well-being day in and day out.
A renowned brand
The Sèvre & Belle brand produces the following:
- Ladle-moulded raw milk goats cheese
- Raw milk butter
- Fresh milk and thick cream
- Pasteurised goats cheese
Our Ladle-moulded raw milk goats cheese :
Slow maturation of the milk after the addition of Grand Levain, renneting of the milk in basins, no addition of preservatives or additives to the products, molding with a ladle for certain raw cheeses, slow draining and care in the ripening room carried out by our master cheese makers. We respect traditional gestures which bring strong characteristics to our products. Raw or pasteurized, natural or ashy, they all bring out the flavors of a unique terroir in France.
If our cheeses are now internationally renowned, this reputation is thanks to the quality of our milk, our techniques that have been passed down through the generations, and our century-old, award-winning.
Our Raw milk butter :
Our traditional butter is made exclusively with milk cream from cooperative members based close to our creamery.
It boasts special character thanks to the slow biological maturation phase that the cream goes through.
Our entire range of cheeses is produced in Celles-sur-Belle in Deux-Sèvres with our guaranteed GMO-free milk being collected every 48 hours from our 55 partners, all of whom are located around of our dairy.
Our Chabichou du Poitou AOP is a raw milk goats cheese which takes its shape from a piece of wood which was used to close wine barrels in years gone by.
According to legend, its name dates back to the 8th Century when the Sarrasins were defeated after the Battle of Poitiers. When some of them settled in the region with their flocks of goats, they produced a cheese called Cheblis (goat in Arabic) and this would later become Chabichou.
This raw milk goat cheese has enjoyed AOP status since 1990.
We’re proud of our Chabichou du Poitou AOP which often wins awards at both local and national competitions.
Our Cooperative’s values
- Respect : We believe that respect is a fundamental value for ensuring longevity. Respecting the animal, the producers’ hard work, the sharing of our expertise, and all of the people involved in our cooperative.
- Passion: We’re passionate about our work and the concept of cooperation. We may go quicker working alone, but we can go much further when we work together.
- Expertise :The century-old expertise that drives our work guides us in the choices we make, day in and day out. The traditional practices that have been passed down to us by our ancestors will never be forgotten or neglected.
- Hight standards : High standards are a crucial factor in maintaining our exceptional quality. By ensuring that our animals are raised in the best possible conditions, we guarantee that nothing short of exceptional-quality milk goes into our products.
- Showcasing people : We’re more than just a cooperative – we’re one big family, made up of countless hard-working people. Our cooperation is a human-centric adventure.